Good day all! Another rainy, cloudy day here in Kingston! But that’s all right, I am armed with my book (go read the Song of Fire and Ice series if you haven’t already, do it!) and DVDs of Smallville. Today is going to be a-okay!
Today I’m going to share my raw granola recipe that I dreamed up a couple weeks ago and first showed you here. This was my first big success with the dehydrator. I honestly could not stop eating this stuff it’s so good, and with no added sugar and no oil, it’s no problem that I couldn’t! This granola doesn’t have any grains either and relies entirely on buckwheat (a psuedograin) and raw nuts and seeds). This means it’s great for those on a grain-free diet and is packed with loads of nutrition! It was perfect on it’s own with almond milk, with berries, on top of smoothies, on top of puddings…basically on top of anything :) You could probably also try baking this, and I’ve left a guess as to what those directions would be at the end.
This recipe is very forgiving. It could be modified to suit your tastes or whatever nuts/seeds you have on hand. Just keep the proportions the same and you should be good!
Raw Banana Granola with No Added Sugar or Oil! (Vegan, Gluten-free, Sugar-free, Raw)
The flavour of the banana is very prevalent and combined with the dates this granola is just sweet enough. Lots of crunch from the buckwheat nuts and seeds and loads of clumps, just as granola should have!
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder (or vanilla extract)
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 banana, mashed
- 8 drops vanilla stevia
- 2 tsp water or more (if needed)
- 3/4 cup buckwheat groats, soaked 1 hour
Pulse the first 8 ingredients in a food processor until desired consistency is reached (add vanilla extract with the banana if not using the powder). I did it until the nuts were chopped fairly small with some larger chunks and the dates were in small pieces. Like this picture:
Empty the mixture into a large bowl.
Mash the banana in a small bowl and mix with the stevia and vanilla extract if using,
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and add the buckwheat groats and mix until well combined and sticky. Add the water as needed to get everything full incorporated and coated.
Place on teflex or parchment paper lined dehydrator sheets in a thin layer. Dehydrate at 105°F for 3 hours. Carefully flip the granola over. Doing so will break it up a bit but that’s ok, helps create the chunks! Dehydrate for another 9 hours or until dry and crunchy.
Alternatively you could try baking it at around 250 for an hour or 350 for around 25-30 min. If anyone does try this please let me know what worked for you!
Serve with fruit, almond milk, or whatever you choose. It’s bound to be tasty. Especially if you eat it with an awesome spoon….
got it for my dad for Christmas. Love it!
Before I go 2 shout outs and heartfelt thanks to give! Thank you to Dudette who nominated me for the Sunshine Award! Thank you so much my dear :)
Now I have to answer you 7 questions about myself :)
1. Favorite color? green, dark purple and charcoal
2. Favorite animal? dogs, especially huskies
3. Favorite number? 4
4. Favorite non-alcoholic drink? water is the best, but green tea is a winner too
5. Prefer Facebook or Twitter? Facebook I guess for keeping in touch with people. But I’m really starting to love this Twitter thing…
6. My passion? healthy food, cooking, eating ;), traveling, reading and yoga!
7. Prefer getting or giving presents? I like both- it’s fun to be surprised yourself and to make other people happy!
8. Favorite pattern? Not sure. I think the pattern on the sides of my blog is pretty cool though.
9. Favorite day of the week? Days I don’t work, get to cook a good breakfast where I can drink my tea outside and listen to the birds. It’s the simple things that do it for me :)
10. Favorite flower? Roses. Sounds typical girl I know, but I love the way they die- so dramatic!
For this I’m not going to nominate the 10-12 bloggers as I’m supposed to (who needs rules psssh) but I will nominate and say a special hello to the lovely Ali and Jef at the bear and the blackberry. Their blog makes me laugh so hard I cry! Delicious looking food too!
And thank you to Heather at Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes for the Versatile Blogger Award. Love you girl! You have stellar photography and food that makes me wish they had invented technology that would allow me to reach through my computer screen and grab a bite :)
I’m supposed to tell you 7 random things about myself for this one, but I think the above questions should suffice don’t you??
That’s it for me today! Enjoy your next couple of days and come back here on Saturday- I’ll be participating in a super-special blogger event. There’s lots of good food to be seen I promise you!