Happy weekend everyone! I hope you have been enjoying some good weather like I have here. Summer’s on the way, I can feel it!
I created this smoothie recipe quite a while ago actually but have been waiting for a while to post it. I made it first here, but because I wanted to tweak it until it was perfect I never posted it. Then I decided it was so good, I sent the recipe to my foodie penpals and wanted to make sure they got to make it first before I shared it on the blogosphere. I can say it was very well received. Cher gave it two thumbs up and you can read what she said here on my foodie penpals reveal post! I’m not sure what Megan thought but hopefully she enjoyed it too!
And without further ado, I give you the oatmeal raisin cookie green smoothie…
You all need this green smoothie in your life.
This a green smoothie to:
- convert all green smoothie skeptics,
- eat in a bowl (which is the best kind!), and
- satisfy all dessert cravings
Not fruity, just sweet, cinnamon-y, oat-y, raisin-y goodness.
I’ve made this smoothie many times now and I think I have the ratios perfected! It has an awesome chew from the oats and raisins that are added in after blending* and great consistency from the addition of a little less milk than would normally go in and the xanthan gum.
* This is actually really handy because I read recently that you should actually chew our smoothies to help with proper digestion. You don’t even have to remind yourself with this one!
And while it tastes like a dessert, there is no added sugar or fat and has whole grains and veggies in it! So healthy you can (and I have multiple times) eat it for breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner.
Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Green Smoothie (Vegan, Gluten-Free*, Refined Sugar-Free and Raw*)
*make sure to use certified raw/gluten-free oats if these are important for you :)
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk (I used homemade almond milk)
- 1 medjool date, soaked and pitted (or 1 tbsp soaked raisins works too!)
- 2 tbsp oats + 2 tbsp oats, divided
- 1 tbsp
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- splash vanilla
- 1/8 tsp xanthan gun (optional but really helps give it a thick texture)
- 1 tbsp raisins, chopped
Throw the banana, spinach, milk, date, 2 tbsp oats, almond butter, cinnamon and xanthan gum in a blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into a bowl and add in the other 2 tbsp oats and the chopped raisins and stir to distribute them throughout.
What it looks like after mixing- don’t let this picture fool you. The lumps are the best part ;)
Next up: my take on dry skin brushing and a raw granola recipe! Which would you all rather see first?
Have a great Sunday everyone!