Today is the official start day for my cleanse! If you missed my post where I outlined my plan, guidelines and goals, see this post for full details. I have spent the last few days easing into it and preparing and I have to say I am so excited to have started it. Prep included:
- bookmarking a zillion recipes to try over the course of it
- making a couple of said recipes- hello Strawberry Coconut Butter from Almost Vegan. Amazing!!
- making raw basics like almond milk, cashew cream and almond butter
- sprouting some quinoa
- reading through a ton of books for inspiration and guidance
- organizing my pantry, hiding things I am eliminating and checking labels of things I’m not sure about
brought out all my rooibos and herbal teas and hid the green, black, oolong and white!
- cleaning up my bedroom and bathroom for clear, stress-free space
- buying groceries including lots of fresh produce and a few other odds and ends like buckwheat groats, raw almonds, carob powder and sundried tomatoes
- ordering a couple fun things online to experiment with (like Dandy Blend, Coconut Aminos, kelp noodles and my Excalibur 2400 Dehydrator!!!)
- and developing a few new recipes (which I will post soon!)
- sunflower seed “hummus”
- my own version of kitchari
- raw “ketchup”
- lemon-apricot-hemp power bars
- strawberry banana buckwheat breakfast porridge (recipe below)
Today started out rather well! Deep breathing and 15 min of yoga to start the day, warm lemon water and raw buckwheat breakfast porridge. Did a quick 4 min tabata workout, followed by dry skin brushing and a shower and super simple raw lunch which I will post tomorrow. Snacks will include one of my lemon-apricot-hemp power bars and dinner will be some kitchari (with raw “ketchup” for fun, no one said I needed to be completely authentic!). What I have found today is that my planning has definitely paid off. I barely had to think about what I was doing- it all kind of came automatically which was really cool. I’m so glad I took the time now!
Today I will share with you my delicious breakfast and tomorrow, a super simple lunch idea that blew me away. I’m such a tease I know…..
Raw Strawberry Banana Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge (Vegan. Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free, Raw)
Adapted from Oh She Glows’ Raw Buckwheat Porridge
- 1/4 cup raw buckwheat groats, soaked for at least 1 hour or overnight
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds (optional, omit additional 2 tbsp almond milk if not using)
- 1/2 a small banana
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp almond milk (homemade for completely raw)
- dash vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 drops vanilla stevia
Toppings (infinitely variable)
In today’s mix:
- 3 sliced strawberries
- 1/2 a small banana
- Strawberry Coconut Butter from Almost Vegan
Rinse the buckwheat very well and place in a bowl with filtered water to soak. Rinse well again after soaking and place in a blender or food processor with the almond milk, chia seeds and hemp seeds if using. Allow to sit for a few minutes so the chia seeds gel a bit. Then add the rest of the porridge ingredients and pulse until the banana is completely blended, but there is still some texture in the buckwheat.
Pour in a bowl and top with your favourite toppings! Enjoy!
Have a good Monday everyone!